Saturday, May 31, 2008

Welcome to my psyche, you poor bastard

I made a decision around Christmas time that this was going to be the year for me to get my shit together, focusing specifically on all the bullshit surrounding my food and weight issues. Thanks to the financial & emotional support of my dear mother, I'm now firmly ensconced in therapy, and I'm making real honest-to-blog progress, which I intend to document here.

Right now I'm seeing two therapists, Ashley and Chaundra. With Ashley, the focus is my habits & behaviors, setting small weekly goals as well as larger, long-term goals, and improving my level of self-care. Chaundra is a food counselor; we focus very specifically on my relationship with food, working to change not just my behaviors, but my entire thought process surrounding food and weight loss.

I'm seeking real change in my life. I've been struggling with food my entire life and with my weight for a little over 20 years, and I finally feel like I'm ready to stop struggling. At 33 I'm in almost the same place I was at 23, and it's time to move on.

A quick note about the format: the first several posts are backdated, because while I've been writing about my experiences, I've also been dragging my feet getting this blog up & running. I'm on track now, though, and am ready to enter the blogosphere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey girl - i just absolutely love reading you. ive been missing your particular sense of humor and i sometimes remind myself of you lately. this is my second day of not having a cigarette, so i can relate to your experience on that level. it's so weird because on every level i know that i shouldn't smoke, but i have used it for so long and like it so much, it's just about killing me not to smoke. i will be following your progress and taking note. i love you. aunt rena